Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Garden gets a makeover

We have a small flower garden that we’ve been redoing this year. It was neglected last year due to both hubby and I being sick most of the year. I thought I’d share a few photos of the garden makeover we’ve been working on. I’ll post photos throughout the summer when the different flowers appear. Right now it’s pretty bare but it’s starting to look more like hoped it would.

Hubby and my brother Vic raked, weeded, and added 25 bags of red cedar chips over plastic tarps to help keep the weeds down.

garden1

garden5

This is the lilac bush that hubby bought me and planted in 2000. The buds are just starting on it but it should be in full bloom soon. I LOVE lilacs and can’t wait to smell their sweetness!

garden2

Can you spot the little boy fairy sitting on the wheel? My neighbour down the road owns a gorgeous farm and he had a few of these old wheels laying around. We made a  trade – this worn out old wagon wheel for the swing set my girls had outgrown. I definitely got the better end of that deal!

garden3

I took an old rusty wheel barrow wheel and leaned it up against some trees in the back and added the girl fairy to a piece of driftwood. The garden stone is one that Shelby made in school with colourful marbles and stones.

garden4

I found this old red water pump at a yard sale last year and fell in love with it but didn’t buy it. When I got home, I told my Mom about it and she handed me the money and told me to go get it for my birthday present. Thanks Mom! You’re the best there is! It looks so perfect in the garden – especially with an old rusty bucket hanging from it.

Now all we need are some warmer days and flowers! I think I might even try my hand at a few vegetables this year. I’ll start small for now and see how that goes. If it goes well and it’s something that we enjoy, I might have to plough up my back yard and make a real vegetable garden for next year! Learning to be more self sufficient is something I’m really taking an interest in lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Penny Rug Christmas Tree

Just listed another one on Ebay. Off to make a couple more for my craft sale! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=39069...