Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wellington County Museum

Last March we took a weekend road trip and visited the beautiful town of St. Jacobs and while traveling around the back roads we came across this huge old Museum and we just had to go check it out!

The museum is a National Historic site and listed as the oldest House of Industry in Canada. They have some permanent displays as well as new and different exhibits. The museum was built in 1877 and provided shelter for the poor, the aged, and the homeless for almost a century. I could just feel the history oozing out of every nook and cranny in that place. It was kinda eerie!

Here are a few photos that I took....I took a lot so I'll do more posts on it as I sort through the photos on my computer.

It stands on the top of a hill overlooking The Grand River between Fergus and Elora.

There is a barn and other out buildings to the left.

This is a hand painted mural that depicts what it would have been like when it was welcoming people into it's doors.
There are a lot of posters on the walls with interesting information about the House. (click  to enlarge)


We were lucky to be there when they had the exhibits "A Century of Kitchenware" and "Keeping Clean"- a look at laundry over the years. Here's a sneak peek at some of the wonderful items on display.



I'll share more in another post.

3 comments:

  1. Please yes, share more, these are fascinating! I like your blog, and have read most of your recent posts, you do a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I would love to tour this mansion!!! I agree with Annie, please do share more photo's and info on this beautiful mansion, will follow along as always.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love touring historic homes and these cupboards, enamel table...this kitchen is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Another Penny Rug Christmas Tree

Just listed another one on Ebay. Off to make a couple more for my craft sale! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=39069...