Saturday, March 13, 2010

Makeover time

If someone would have told me a few years ago that I would love the look of painted wood, I would have told them to go jump in the lake! Lake Nipissing to be exact – it’s just down the road from me.  All wood needs to be stained. There’s no other way.

Well, times are changing and so are my tastes. I’m starting to really like the look of the distressed painted wood and now have several items in my home. My decor is slowing changing from country to primitive. I say slowly because there aren’t too many primitive shops where I live. I do most of my primitive shopping online and it can get expensive when you add in the shipping charges.

In 2007, we took a road trip to Georgia to visit  hubby’s family for Thanksgiving. We made a lot of detours to places I wanted to see too. I even got to spend one night in the heart of Charleston’s Historic district.  I plan to win the lottery and live in one of those 300 year old houses that survived the Civil War, earthquakes and hurricanes.  If those walls could talk! 

house

Anyway, on the way back from Georgia, we took the scenic route so I could visit the Ohio Amish area – something I’ve always wanted to do. I love everything Amish. I have a great admiration for them and the way they choose to  live. More on that later though :)

amishchurch

There were so many wonderful shops in Ohio but this one was exactly what I wish we had more of up here. When I walked in I almost fell over – I grabbed a wall for balance. Everything I had seen online, in catalogues,  wished for, dreamed about, drooled over, was in this store. Hubby and daughter said my eyes were like saucers. I was the proverbial deer in the headlights.

shop 

We got there on a Saturday night 15 minutes before closing and it was closed on Sunday as most businesses are in Amish areas. I was like a kid in a candy store I tell ya! I was running around grabbing up everything I could hold and filling up the arms of dear daughter and hubby! They were laughing at me and kept asking where we would put all of it. Our car was full inside and we were lucky to get the trunk closed from all our luggage and treasures we had already purchased along the way. Oh how I wish I could go back to that little store with a huge U-Haul truck! If someone had the money to open a bunch of stores like this all over Canada, they’d make a fortune.

Wow,I didn’t mean to get so off track. I stopped at Value Village the other day looking for treasures and found some. I have been looking for a long time for a set of wooden bowls to paint. I didn’t find any…I found wooden plates. Just as good and the price was even better…..50 cents a piece. Here are the before and after shots and I must admit they look better than if I had just simply stained them.

plates

plates2

Now I just need one of those gorgeous bowl racks! Time for another road trip to Ohio I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Penny Rug Christmas Tree

Just listed another one on Ebay. Off to make a couple more for my craft sale! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=39069...